Angela is a practicing artist and designer researching how interfaces can enhance collocated collaboration. Her current focus is developing interfaces that enable parents to become better storytellers to young children. She also creates media, textiles, devices, and systems that heighten people’s presence to improve communication, education, and artistic expression. Angela received an SB in Mechanical Engineering at MIT, and her Masters and PhD at the MIT Media Lab in Media Arts and Sciences.
Her research in synesthesia led her to develop devices that translated touch through remote communication devices. She further developed haptic technology and prototyped user experiences for the Advanced Concepts Group at Motorola. She is an inventor on several human computer interaction and tactile interface patents. She currently develops gesturally responsive storybooks to facilitate emergent literacy learning and emotional bonding during parent-child storytelling. She is interested in building sensorial interfaces and storytelling experiences that help people increase their sense of common ground. Currently she is a research affiliate at the MIT Trope Tank in the Comparative Media Studies and Writing Department, and teaches visual communication at Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI.
- Taper minimalist digital poetry, in ezine form.
- Tinkerstories -- digital stories that help parents teach literacy to young children
- Interactive Narratives and Elit
My reading recommendations *(Happy to talk about these books!):
- Continuum Concept - A book on parenting for those who are interested in fostering good relationships within society.
- Getting What You Came For, the Smart Student's Guide to Getting a Masters or PhD - How to apply to graduate school, manage your degree process, and graduate!
- Writing Your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day - Great advice when you're trying to graduate on time!
- Processing: A Programmers Handbook for Visual Designers - creative inspiration and learning processing/java.
- Exploratory Programming in the Arts & Humanities - creative inspiration and learning python.